<!--<style ><!--/*<!-- -->

This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting....

<!-- /*--><!--/*--> Oluthando...: Dear daughter, You are perfect as you are - DOVE

Dear daughter, You are perfect as you are - DOVE

 
My biggest fear as a mother, is for my daughter growing up looking for love in all the wrong places. I fear that she won't know her worth, that she will not love herself enough to embrace her beauty. Self love, self acceptance, self worth, self confident.... I pray she learns that she is enough.

At some point in my teenage years I became anorexic. I was never diagnosed because, really, what is anorexia to black people? I had the urge to be in control. Skinniness meant beauty, which meant more friends, which was my definition for success (Don't judge, I was a teenager remember). As for the urge to be perfect? Well I think I was born with it. It was part of who I am, WAS. But through my postnatal anxiety, I learned that PERFECTIONISM IS OVERRATED. I was insulting God by trying to alter myself to be what he clearly didn't make me to be.

 
A couple of weeks ago my beautiful daughter asked me why she's 'Chocolate' and her brother and I are 'Milky'. I immediately closed my laptop and hugged her. She expressed how she feels that it was unfair that she's darker than us, and asked at what age she can start putting on facial creams. I looked her straight in her eyes and told her how perfect she is as she is. At age of 10 and there's already this pressure to conform to society's definition of beauty.

Dove couldn't have introduced their new campaign at a better time. A time where our girls feel so less of themselves. Just this week the entire South Africa is mourning the death of a beautiful 14yr old Klara Gottert who committed suicide. As parents we were shaken, but most of all left with the realization that it could happen to any of us. How do we make a change? How can we help our daughters to have a healthy self-esteem?




Dove Self-Esteem Project
As part of its commitment to helping the next generation of women raise their self-esteem and realise their full potential, the Dove Self-Esteem Project delivers self-esteem education to young people (primarily girls) aged 7-17 years through lessons in schools, activities for mentors, online resources for parents and partnerships with youth organizations.
 
The Dove South Africa Self-Esteem Project is making an impact in schools across Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal, addressing issues around body confidence and self-esteem. This is presented in an interactive and dynamic way, with engaging presenters who inspire their young audience to view their own beauty in a different light. The Dove South Africa Self-Esteem Project is currently in its second year and has already reached over 72 000 young girls to date.
 
Dove Self-Esteem Project resources have been developed in collaboration with parents, teachers, youth leaders and self-esteem experts as well as endorsed by an independent global advisory board and academically validated to prove their positive impact.  The education programmed and fun interactive activities, downloadable at http://selfesteem.dove.co.za , are designed to help girls overcome beauty-related anxieties that stop them from being happy and confident.  The Dove Self-Esteem Project has reached over 16 million young people globally to date with self-esteem education and with your help we can reach even more. 
 
Visit the Dove South Africa website, the Dove Facebook page here or follow @Dove_ZA on Twitter for more information. 

Labels: , , ,