<!--<style ><!--/*<!-- -->

This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting....

<!-- /*--><!--/*--> Oluthando...: It's time for the SEX talk

It's time for the SEX talk



Miss Flower Jackson just turned 10yrs old this past month and I'm starting to be cautious of that thin line between 'cute' and 'scary'. Like at the age of 7 when she said she has a boyfriend, it was thee cutest thing ever. There really wasn't much to it.
She couldn't even tell you the 1st thing that boyfriends and girlfriends do. Now at the age of 10, it's a total 360. She talks about a boy having crush on her? (And trust, I do freak out, but try to bring myself towards myself).  She loves watching "16 and pregnant" (I'm hoping for reverse psychology). Don't get me started on Peer Pressure issues, cellphones, tablets, aaaaargh.

I'm a modern mum, and have always taken pride in that. Changing with the times. We have our mom and daughter day at least once a week, open communication, baking together, get to know her friends. But no matter how involved I am as mom, it's still extremely hard to establish myself as an approachable parent on all matters relating to SEX. In 2015, 10 is the new 16.  This means having to fast track the "SEX" talk.  I had prepared myself for the sex talk for a 16yr old, having to relay that to a 10yr old leaves me anxiety-stricken. There's always that issue of being a parent over being her friend.
 It is my responsibility to teach her about Sex: the good, the bad and the ugly. But what happens when she comes to me and says "I'm ready". Would I still be this sensible open-minded mom or this is when I lock her up in the tower? Can I really handle this "you can tell me anything" story?

All said and done though, I guess my biggest fear as a mother is failing my child. And by not sharing the correct information and teaching her right from wrong, that's exactly what I would be doing. 

So all I can do is ask for the Almighty to keep me calm and guide me into being the best mom I can be. One can never know when your child would chose a different path, that you can't prevent, but it will give me some peace of mind knowing that I equipped her with relevant information.

How old was your child when you had the 'Birds and the Bees' talk?
What helped to keep you calm?

Labels: , ,